Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Thursday, February 9, 2012

At least I don't eat like THIS anymore...

Ridiculously Optimistic, Bright-Side Post #2

I've been keeping a health log since September, before ME/CFS was even a faint suggestion in my head.  At the time I started it, I was simply trying to find something, anything, in my daily routine that I could connect with my ups and downs.  It would still be a couple more months before my doctors and I suspected ME, and another month or two before I changed my diet.

A few days ago, Mrs. Calvin and I were winding down for the evening, each propped up against our sides of the headboard.  She was finishing reading The Help and I was clicking away at the laptop, updating my health log.

As I finished updating my log, I glanced back at those early months.  Looking at the "Food" column, my eyes bulged.  I began to laugh.  This caught Mrs. Calvin's attention so I read some of the entries aloud to her, and she laughed to.

How is that in the span of 5 months, I'd changed my habits so drastically that the mere mention of my old habits induced laughter?  While I doubt it will be as funny to you, readers of this blog - all three of you - I invite you to judge me anyway.  These entries are cut and pasted without edit.  (Semicolons separate breakfast; lunch; and dinner):
9/7:  Bagel; Taco Bell chalupas; orange chicken from Panda Express 
9/11:  Oatmeal, frozen breakfast burrito; peach, 2 ice cream sandwiches; steak & enchilada for dinner with Horchata.
9/12:  Breakfast burrito, Motrin; (skipped lunch); meatball sandwich and french fries.
9/13: Cottage Cheese; breakfast burrito w/ bacon; Rubio's Big Burrito Especial w/ chips for lunch; pizza with pineapple.
9/15: Breakfast sandwich w/ ham and cheese; apple, peach, nachos, peanuts; hamburger casserole & sourdough toast, apple cobbler
The list goes on and on like this.  My biggest downfall, like many Southern Californians, was Mexican food - or rather, Americanized Mexican food, where each burrito is a rice and bean filled carbohydrate bomb.  No wonder my candida antibodies were off the charts.  


(Normally, Mrs. Calvin would have stepped in to ensure that I ate healthy for at least one meal a day when we were home together, but she happened to be recovering form a C-section at this time.)  


Even now, only 5 months later, that list seems revolting to me.  So, at least I'm not slowly killing myself with that junk any longer!


No comments:

Post a Comment