Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Re-Ranking My Supplements

As I wrote about in my last post, I've been planning to rank all of my supplements and prescriptions in order of most effective to least effective.  After that, I plan to start cutting from the bottom until I notice a decline in my health.  The idea is to get down to only the supplements and prescriptions I absolutely need in order to maintain my current baseline health.  My new doctor supported his idea.

I had ranked by supplements once before, but it has been years since I've done so, and since then, many of my supplements have changed.  I've also had much more time to observe which supplements are clearly helpful and which supplements are more questionable.

Unlike last time, I'm not going to rate any "treatments" other than supplements and prescriptions -- in other words, nothing that fits into the category of lifestyle adjustments, like changes to diet or sleep habits.

I'm only including supplements that I take every day.  I am not including "as needed" supplements.  For instance, whenever I'm coming down with a cold, flu, or other mystery bug, I take my cold-buster regimen.  I'm not worried about cutting back on those supplements at this time.

The ranking is included on the attached Google Docs spreadsheet.  The supplements and prescriptions at the top of the list are the most effective and would be the last to be eliminated.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElblrbMj20NVgyC2jH881ar6YF7MpkafmG4UmTnCHIg/edit#gid=0

4 comments:

  1. I haven't taken any supplements since Christmas. You make me want to get back on the bandwagon! Can I ask what probiotics you take? And what fish oil? I have a whole tub of expensive d-ribose such I couldn't take after the first week because it kept crashing my blood sugar. And my box of Equilibrant is still unopened six and a half months later. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patrick - hope all is well. I stumbled across your blog and thought I would reach out as we seem to have an uncanny amount in common. I've had cfs for 3 years; very similar symptoms (incl prostate and candida); genes (eg cbs + bhmt); same concerns/testing re. Lymes (the continually 'nagging question' that hangs in the air); married with a young toddler. We're also taking similar supplements and following the same diet. If you want to connect to share ideas just let me know. DH

    ReplyDelete
  3. No more phosphatidylserine?

    You mentioned it in an earlier post, and it's something I've found VERY helpful.

    Greyson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm in the UK and have had ME for 8 years. I'm married with 3 children and used to be a teacher but am too poorly to teach now. I'm a patient of Dr Sarah Myhill and have had great success following her protocol for improving mitochondrial function - paleo diet and supplements. From experience, the supplement cull needs to be careful and methodical. I cut out lots to save money etc over the last eighteen months and I'm paying for it now. Co Q10, injectable B12 and fish oils are definite must-haves for me and I regret stopping those. Also glutathione was another that I shouldn't have dropped, so back to building them all up again now!! I'm also experimenting with T3 and have low thyroid and adrenals. Please may I ask how you are able yo tolerate that dose of T3? Did it not cause your adrenals to crash? What did you do to improve your adrenal health? Best of luck to you, your wife and girls on your journey to good health. Michelle.

    ReplyDelete