Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Saturday, March 8, 2014

My cold buster formula

A funny thing happened between last winter and this summer - I became much better at fighting colds.  Last Fall and Winter (and much of Spring), just like the previous one, saw me wiped out by an almost unbroken chain of colds -- i.e. "sick on sick" for 6 months.  With two pre-school aged kids at home, it's almost impossible to avoid.  We all trade one cold for another throughout the cold weather months.  Just as one bug has worked its way through the family, another one starts making its rounds.

During past cold reasons, as the family's only immuno-compromised person, I was always the hardest hit, and it usually stayed with me twice as long as every other family member.  A particular virus might give my wife a few sniffles and coughs for 4 or 5 days and be gone, while I battled 6 or 7 nasty symptoms for two full weeks.

Now this season--for whatever reason--I seem to be recovering just as fast and in some cases faster than my other family members.  As a result, my monthly health chart averages are substantially higher than equivalent months from past years.

There's no way to know with certainty what caused this change.  Many of us in the ME/CFS community recognize that there seems to be a split between those with overactive immune systems, who never get colds/flus, and those with under active immune systems, who constantly get "sick on sick."  Many of us changed from one to the other at some point - often around the 3 year mark, which is where I am.

So that's a possibility.

But I feel strongly that this change has something to do with a cold-buster supplement regimen that I've been using this season, consisting of four immune boosting supplements:

1)  Liposomal Vitamin C in liquid form - 4,000 mg per day, spaced in 1,000 mg doses 4x/day (pulsed for 3 or 4 days on, 3 or 4 days off)
2)  Thymic Protein A - 3 packets a day, evenly spaced
3)  Zinc with Echinacea lozenges, 3 or 4 per day, evenly spaced
4)  Super Good Stuff nasal spray, 2x/day

I've experimented with some combination of these supplements for a couple of years now, but it wasn't until I started attacking colds with all four of them that I really started to see a big difference.

The nasal spray is something I'd heard about from another patient about a year ago - she swore by it.  I was highly skeptical, but it does really seem to blast sinus infections and even helps with non-sinus issues.  Check out the ingredients and you'll see a combination of a number of cold-busting ingredients that you've likely read about many times.

If a sore throat is part of the cold, I'll also use this Chinese medicine called Pei Pa Koa.  I believe it only provides symptom relief, but it does seem to help quite a bit.

If anyone else has tried a combination of any of these treatments, I'd love to hear how they worked for you.

4 comments:

  1. I've not actually heard of any of them other than a good nasal spray, wish I would have known about them a month back when the flu hit me and hit me hard, I will have to take a note of them for future reference, thanks for the heads up! xx Hayley-Eszti

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear by Vitamin C but I haven't actually tried the liposomal stuff. You're the second person to recommend it recently so I think I'll give it a go when my current jar runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that you're nailing those cold symptoms!
    I absolutely love what you're said about the immune response switching after a period of a few years. I've been in the 'hardly ever sick' category for years now, so I won't be needing your super formula, but I know a few friends who do - they don't have chronic illnesses, but always manage to get a series of nasty colds over the winter. I'll be forwarding this on!!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a cold since July 2011- before I got sick with M.E. I think I'm getting one right now. I've said that before, so I could be wrong, but I'm thinking of buying some of these things. I can't take the liposomal C or the lozenges because of added ingredients. What is the reason behind the thymic protein?

    ReplyDelete