Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Meet an MD with ME...

Due to a recent commenter on my blog, I was alerted to a new blog by an MD with ME.  In fact his/her blog is called "MD with ME."  I wish I had a name to call him/her, or even a gender, but so far his/her blog is anonymous (which I completely understand.)  Even though the ME/CFS blogosphere is pretty crowded, I think a blog from the perspective of "the other side" (doctors) while at the same time also being on "our side," could add a valuable and unique perspective.

Here's a small excerpt that I found interesting:
I went to a few more local doctors who could not figure out what was wrong with me even though they had to admit something was wrong since normal people don't have a 60 beat per minute increase in their heart rate from lying down to standing, but they were downright unwilling to listen to anything I had to say regarding ME or even postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), which was blatantly obvious! Those doctors had never heard the term ME and clearly thought people with CFS were in some sort of gray area that they didn't really know what to do with, even though when questioned, actually had no idea what CFS really was other than that it involved "fatigue" in some way 
So, as it turns out, even a fellow MD has difficulty getting his/her medical colleagues to take ME/CFS seriously.  Makes you wonder what hope the rest of us have.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Patrick. Sorry for the anonymity, but I think it is best for right now. I hope that will change eventually, however.

    I can tell you that I am male so at least you know that.

    I am sorry I have so little posted so far... but, I am sure everyone reading this understands when you are pretty sick even being on the computer and writing can be challenging.

    I hope to write a post or series of posts about how best to interact with your doctors to get the most out of appointments, although much of my advice is going to be pretty similar to your excellent post on "How to win an argument about ME/CFS..." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, MDwithME. And, like I said, I completely understand the anonymity. As I wrote in my second ever post, I use a pseudonym in this blog. For a number of reasons, it is very necessary.

      If you decide not to reveal your true name, would it make sense to use a pseudonym too so people have something to call you? Just a thought. I look forward to following your future posts!

      Delete
  2. Really interesting stuff. No posts from him/her since April though :(

    ReplyDelete