Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stevia may not be ideal for ME/CFS patients

Admittedly, I'm a fan of stevia and use it (or products with it) at least 3 or 4 times a week.  But for those PWMEs with low blood pressure and/or POTS/OI issues, you may want to avoid stevia or, at least, use it sparingly.  Stevia lowers blood pressure, and this can be a problem for people who already have low blood pressure.  [1] [2]

Stevia, it turns out, also helps lower blood sugar and is sometimes used as a treatment for those with hyperglycemia.  Since my blood sugar tends to run a little high even after switching to a low carb diet, I will continue to use stevia in moderation.  Incidentally, my blood pressure normalized after the first 6 months of having ME/CFS, so I'm more concerned about blood sugar than blood pressure, but I realize many of us have the opposite concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment