Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Stevia chocolate: a godsend

Since eliminating all bread and processed sugar from my diet in November, my taste buds have been protesting against this cruel depravation. They're screaming for stimulation. Much like me, they've been struggling to adjust and accept their new limitations.  Also like me, they try to bargain with these limitations, to cut corners, and to cheat the system. And as we have both found out, there aren't too many ways to cheat the system.  For the most part, we're stuck with our new limitations.

As part of this bargaining process, we went online a couple of weeks ago to explore what stevia-made sweets might be available for mail order. As it turns out, there are virtually none. The US stevia industry is simply too new to have gained a foothold. My heart sunk.

That's when Mrs. Calvin came to the rescue.  Being nothing short of a genius in the kitchen, she concocted a bowl of stevia chocolate syrup, which, upon first taste, almost had me weeping with joy.  OK, not really "weeping," but, it's difficult to overstate how glorious a bite of chocolate can be after a four month drought.  

We now keep a bowl of this chocolate syrup in our refrigerator at all times.  I drizzle it on plantains, berries, yogurt, almonds, walnuts, and just about anything else that fits in my diet.  I even made chocolate milk using almond milk.  The picture below is my dessert tonight.  Or, I should say, was my dessert.

Stevia chocolate on plain yogurt, topped with flax seed meal

If you'd like the recipe for Mrs. Calvin's stevia chocolate syrup, let me know in the comments and we'll figure out a way to get it to you.  I can't publish it because it's a modification of a recipe that is published elsewhere and...well...I don't want to get sued.  

2 comments:

  1. You had me at "chocolate." I would love the recipe. Since I've got pre-diabetes, I try to limit my sugar intake. You can email me at cfidsalyson[at]sbcglobal.net. Just replace [at] with @ (I wrote it that way to avoid auto-spam). Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Alyson. I'll get you the recipe this weekend.

      I enjoy your blog. Keep it up!

      Delete