Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Friday, March 16, 2012

HealKick

I recently found HealKick, a social networking site for people with ME/CFS and other neuro-immune illnesses who are under the age of 40.  At first I wondered, does age really matter when talking about ME/CFS?  When it comes to exchanging purely medical information--treatments, doctors, etc.--no, age usually doesn't matter.  But, as I'm beginning to see, other social aspects of ME/CFS can be age-specific.

I've only just started exploring the site, but I like what I see so far.  While there's no shortage of medical discussions, the site's strength comes from it's fun, social atmosphere.  It reminds me of a line from the recent Best Picture nominee, the Descendants: "We just, I don't know, we deal with our shit by talking about other stuff and having a good time." -Sid.

HealKick creators encourage members to use their real names instead of handles, and real photographs instead of anonymous avatars.  This lends the site a more personal feel.  Apparently, the site also hosts a large group video chat every Friday, although I haven't had an opportunity to participate yet.

HealKick is still relatively new (created in the Fall of last year), and its membership appears to be growing steadily.  Right now, it's membership is about 10% of Phoenix Rising (470 to PR's 4700+), but that gap should narrow over time.  Although, with its age restrictions, I don't think HealKick will ever lose it's tight knit community feel.

If you're a PWME under 40, it's worth checking out.  And if you do, say hi to me while you're there.

No comments:

Post a Comment