Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Friday, April 7, 2017

I still have active Epstein Bar Virus infection

I went to the doctor yesterday (Dr. M) and received the results of some follow-up blood tests. Epstein Bar Virus (EBV) IgM antibodies were still many, many times higher than the normal range.  The blood for this most recent test was drawn three months after the initial draw (from early January), so I expected the antibodies to have returned to the normal range.  Instead, they had hardly dropped at all. We're going to test again in another couple months with a new lab just in case the lab we used for this last test is prone to false positives.  Dr. M said my EBV IgM titers are the second highest she's ever seen.  She's surprised I'm out walking around.

We doubled my dose of Valacyclovir from 500mg 2x/day to 1gram 2x/day.

In the meanwhile, I continue to have symptoms of reactivated Shingles, except with headaches and brain fog this time.  At first the pain and sensitivity was mostly in my right hand, but now it is on the right side of the torso in the same areas as when I first had Shingles in July, 2016.  There is no visible rash this time (yet).  The pain/sensitivity in the torso is much less severe than last time but the hand pain is much worse. I'm hoping the increased Valacyclovir will help that too.  In theory, it should.

Both EBV and the Shingles virus (VZV) are in the herpes family of viruses.  I've read that people with low Natural Killer Cell (NKC) function, like me, will continue to deal with re-activated herpes family viruses indefinitely unless they find a way to increase NKC function.  There are no known sure-fire ways to increase NKC function -- only theories and un-replicated studies showing marginal effects. Astragalus root is one supplement that is mentioned sometimes.  I'm already taking Astragalus root as the main ingredient in Equilibrant.

I've also read that Transfer Factor can also help with NKC function, so when Dr. M recommended it, I agreed to try that too.  So I'm going to begin taking transfer factor, at least until the EBV and Shingles get under control, and maybe for maintenance after that.

2 comments:

  1. At least you have a target. Most of us do not even have a target. I have friends who treated IgM EBV antibodies as you are doing, and in time they get better. A lot depends on their tolerance. Regarding raising NK function, all is anecdotal - isopirnosine, AHCC, transfer factor from Researched nutritional, Larch Arabinogalatan, ReishiMax.

    Good luck,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same issues here minus the Shingles. Low NK cell function, and my EBV, CMV, and HHV6 are all just as high antibody counts as they were five years ago when I first tested. My strategy has been to try to address heavy metals (arsenic and mercury) and while I am feeling significantly better in the past year pursuing this strategy, NK cell function actually dropped two points. I have assumed this is from stirring up metals but there's no way to be sure.

    Sending you all the best for recovery.

    ReplyDelete