Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The latest on my prostatitis

I wrote in my last post that the doctor switched me from Bactrim to Levaquin when the second course of Bactrim failed to bring the prostatitis under control.  I was prescribed a 10 day course of Levaquin.

On about the 8th day of the Levaquin treatment, my symptoms were still mostly unchanged.  I called the doctor again and he switched me to yet a third antibiotic: generic Omnicef (cefdinir).  Again, he prescribed a 10 day course.

By about the second day of Omnicef treatment, I began to feel some relief.  I'm about mid-day through the treatment now and I feel mostly normal "down there" -- maybe 95% of normal.  But, at this stage, I can tell that some symptoms are still hanging around at a low level.  I have the vague sense that if I stopped the antibiotics right now, the symptoms would come right back.

I am starting to realize based on my internet research and conversations with other patients that prostatitis can be very tricky and hard to kill.  Sometimes it takes a month or two of antibiotics.

The good news is that, if you don't count the prostatitis, my overall health continues to be fairly good, as it was throughout the summer.  My baseline health continues to rise at an almost imperceptibly slow rate.  If it simply topped off right now and never got any better, I would probably count my blessings.  My bigger concern would be relapse, so I am generally continuing with the pacing, supplements, and diet that (I think) got me here in the first place.

4 comments:

  1. Patrick, I certainly hope that this medication will continue to prove to be what is needed. As I commented, some weeks ago, that my husband had prostatitis, and the doctor told him it is a bacterial infection that is chronic, and just has to be controlled when flareups occur. This was many years ago, so maybe there is a different medical opinion at this time. And, of course, each case can be different. Good luck to you. I hope you will continue to feel improved in your quest for better health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked the article. THere are some information on prostatitis treatment. Recently I got to know about test & prostatitis treatment from one of my friends who is also suffering from this disease and is taking this treatment. This is helping his health to improve from before and is less costly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prostatitis is the inflammation of the prostate gland. We provide the best treatment for this disease. Visit our site for the more information. Prostatitis and Parkinson's treatment

    ReplyDelete